Some practices for protecting children while outside playing:
- Dress children warmly using boots, hats, snow pants, and mittens.
- Tuck in loose clothing, drawstrings, etc. if ice skating.
- Children should always ride their sleds while sitting and facing forward (going down head first increases the chance of head and spinal injuries).
- Limit the length of exposure, especially in colder temperatures and windy conditions (be mindful of wind chill)
- Monitor kids for wet clothing and fatigue
- Allow children to warm up indoors with a warm drink such as hot chocolate or apple cider.
- Remind them to stay away from thin ice!